Monday 6 May 2013

Book Review (225): Lover At Last - J.R Ward


Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11)


Publication: 26th March 2013
Publisher: Piatkus (Hachette Australia)
Pages: 591
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Age Appropriate: Adult

Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.
My Thoughts...
Finally, J.R Ward or (The Warden as she's known by her fans) has given what all us BDB (Black Dagger Brotherhood) fans have been waiting for, the story of Quinn and Blay or Quay as the fans have named the couple.
And for those unaware, yes the couple is two guys, and as much as I love this series I will admit to being a little hesitant to reading a romance between two males, having never read an m/m romance book before it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I might possibly in future pick up some more books in this genre.
It also helped that it involved characters that I really love and have been with them as a reader all through their pre-trans days and to where they both are now, two best-friends both in love with each other but also with obstacles in front of them which they need to deal with before they can have their Happily Ever After.
Every fan has been begging for this coupling for such a long time now and they both wholeheartedly deserve it.
Of course we also have appearances from the other Brothers of the Brotherhood, including Zsadist (my absolute favourite) who has a very heart-stopping plane ride with Quinn as the pilot, one of my favourite scenes in the whole book.
There are also a few different sub plots going on throughout this book, the Band Of Brothers make another appearance, the leader Xcor has two things on his mind, the destruction of the BDB and his wishful ascension to take Wrath's place on the throne as King of the vampires and number two: LAYLA,LAYLA,LAYLA.
I can only hope that these two get their own book at some point and their own happy ever after, but with Layla pregnant with Quinn's baby it won't be an easy ride, especially as Xcor is the enemy of the Brotherhood that she lives and is friends with.
I get the sense that there's more to Xcor than meets the eye, and buried deep down within him lies a heart of gold.
I'm also intrigued with the iAm and Trez storyline, I've always been fascinated with these two brothers and hope that they get more page time in the following books.
But this book is primarily about Quinn and Blay and the scene at the end of this book brought a happy tear to the eye.
There's nothing else that I can really say, but I will leave you with the dedication that Ward has written in the front of this book, dedicated to Quinn and Blay, it gets me a bit teary eyed whenever I read it.
Dedicated To: You Both-At The Risk Of Inapproprite Levity. It's About Time- And No One Deserves It More Than The Two Of You.
So with that being said I eagerly await the 12th book by Ward in this series 'The King' another Wrath and Beth book, and they'll be trying for a baby!
I cannot wait, for those of you have never picked up this series, please do, it's amazing and before you know it you'll be addicted and desperate for the year to pass until the next book is released.

I give this an outstanding 5/5 Stars.

A Big Thanks To Alice @ Hachette Australia.

4 comments:

  1. I've read the first three books and then I don't know why I didn't continue with it. But now after hearing SO much about Qhuinn and Blay I really wanna get back and continue with the series so I can get to their books! Thanks for your review :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do go on with the series, the series gets better with each book.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this.This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete