Friday 6 April 2012

Book Review (71).

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands #1)


Publication: 7th June 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Australia
Pages: 492
Genre: Dystopian
Age Appropriate: Young Adult
In a lawless future land, where life is cheap and survival is hard, Saba has been brought up in isolated Silverlake. She never sees the dangers of the destructive society outside. When her twin brother is snatched by mysterious black-robed riders, she sets outon an epic quest to rescue him. The story's searing pace, its spare style, the excitement of its fabulously damaged world, its unforgettably vivid characters, its violent action and glorious lovestory make this a truly sensational YA debut novel.
My Thoughts.
I absolutely loved this book, when I first started reading it I didn't think that I would because of the writing and the misspelling but once you understand that it's because of the way the characters talk you sort of get into it a bit more and after the first chapter or so I barely noticed it.
Saba and her twin brother Lugh live with their father and younger sister Emmi in the middle of dusty wastelands with no one around for miles, they are suffering through a drought and their father who hasn't been the same since his wife died giving birth to Emmi spends his days performing rain dances which don't come into fruition.
One day five men on horseback arrive looking for Lugh and kidnap him, in the struggle to save him their father is killed and Saba sets off with her sister in tow to find and save Lugh.
Along the way they come across a couple who drug them and hold them hostage so that they can use Saba as an entrant into cage fighting where they get to keep the money that she wins.
While Saba is entered in the cage fighting she is kept in a cell and let out for exercise in a yard each day, next door is the boys yard and it's there that she meets Jack a male cage fighter and straight away I knew I was going to love him his flirting was just funny and the chemistry was great.
With help from a fellow fighter a Free Hawk a band of female warriors they escape and Jack joins up with them and after Saba is reunited with her sister they set off again to find Lugh with the aid of Jack and some of the Free Hawks.
My highlight of this book is the banter between Saba and Jack, I loved them together and was highly anticipating the time that they both realised they were in love with each other and admitted it to one another, I was really intrigued with Jack I have a feeling that there's more to his character than meets the eye and I can't wait to find out what that is.
I'm interested to know where the next book will take us and I hope we get to know Lugh more and hopefully there'll be a whole lot more of Saba and Jack  who have become one of my favourite couples.
This is a fantastic debut novel the dialogue is different and sets it apart from all the other dystopian books around and it's one I didn't want to put down so fascinated was I by the world brought to life in this story.
Loved it, loved it, loved it now bring on the next book.
I give this 5/5.
A Big Thanks To Jodie @ Scholastic Australia.



1 comment:

  1. Okay. I HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK. People have been talking about this one for centuries it seems and it sounds as if they have good reason to praise this book. Awesome review!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete