Friday 25 February 2022

Head Stuck In A Book: ARC Review: Shadow Born (The Dark Shade #1) - D.N. Hoxa




The Dark Shade is not real. The darkness, the monsters, the fear—they're all only in my head.

At least that's what everyone's been telling me since I woke up with my mind wiped clean five years ago.

Supernaturals love the Shades. They're magical safe havens where everyone can be who they truly are without having to hide. They are not dark.

But I know better than to trust that.

They call me Kallista Nix, but that is not my real name. My past was taken from me, and though I search for it every day, all I find are dead ends.

Until I steal a magical artifact I wasn't supposed to steal, and now Alexander King is after me.

He's a merciless predator who works for the highest supernatural authority in the world, and possibly the most beautiful man I've ever seen. If I were smart, I'd keep far away from him, but common sense means nothing when he looks at me like he wants to devour me, and I have no problem with that at all.

The truth about the Dark Shade is so close now I can taste it. All I have to do is work with King, even if that might get me imprisoned, dead—or even worse.

It isn't even a choice, because I swore to myself that I would do everything it took to find out about my past.

But what if the price I have to pay for it is my future?

***Shadow Born is book 1 in The Dark Shade series, written in 2 POVs, packed with magic, mayhem, and fiery romance intended for mature audiences.



Review.
One of the things I loved most about this book was the amount of different paranormal species in this story.

Most paranormal books deal with one, perhaps even two, but not Shadow Born, it has Fae, Elves,  Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Wizards and even Ghouls, and I am here for it.

The world in this story is like nothing I've ever read before; I enjoyed reading about the Shades and its magic and the different characters scattered about,

Our main character is Kallista Nix (a name given to her); she's not exactly sure what kind of Supernatural she is, and not even The Guild (the supernatural authority) knows either, even through countless tests, it can't be determined,

Kallista has amnesia; it's been five years of wondering who and what she is; all she can remember is something called The Dark Shade which everybody she speaks to tells her there's no such thing.

Desperately trying to discover who she is, Kallista tries to save up enough money to pay the best trackers around to discover her identity.

When Kallista comes across Vampires and Werewolves fighting over some box and realises it must be really important and figures she can get quite a lot of money for it and finally get some answers, she sells it, and that's when the story really starts to get exciting.

Alexander King is a Vampire; he also has amnesia, he helps The Guild with jobs; one of them is to recover the stolen box which brings him into contact with Kallista. I knew straight off the bat that these two had some kind of connection; I'm excited to see it all play out.

The amnesia trope is one of my favourites to read, to have not one but two characters with amnesia, had me pretty excited.

And I really can't wait for the next book, the ending, while not technically a cliffhanger, still left me wanting more, more answers, more action, more Kallista and Alexander interactions; you get the drift.

A thoroughly enjoyable start to a new series.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment