Sunday 30 December 2012

(ARC) Book Review (197): The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke


The Mad Scientist’s Daughter


Publication: 7th February 2013
Publisher: Angry Robot
Pages: 400
Genre: Science-Fiction
Age Appropriate: Young Adult


The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is the heartbreaking story of the journey from childhood to adulthood, with an intriguing science fictional twist.

There’s never been anyone - or anything - quite like Finn.
He looks, and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is to tutor Cat.
When the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.
My Thoughts...
As much as I enjoyed this book, I also found it to be a little bit disturbing, as in the relationship between Kat and Finn.
Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting concept but when it came to the physical side of their relationship I was turned off a bit, although in saying that I did end up in tears quite a few times throughout their time together.

I did really like Finn's character in the book, he was humanised so much that sometimes I did forget that he was an android.
Kat however I had a love/hate relationship with, her indecisiveness and her dependency on Finn, so much so that when he wasn't around it was like she just shut down.
And I wonder how much of that had to do with what I interpreted as the indiference her parents (her Mum especially) showed her, so that she had no one but Finn to associate with and to become emotionally attached to.

At the age of five Kat's Father (who is a scientist, hence the title) bring's home an android named Finn to become Kat's tutor, after initially being wary around him at first, Kat and Finn become very close much to the concern of her parents.

This story told in three parts begins when Kat is a child and works it's way through her teenage and adult years, taking us on a journey of their relationship, through marriage and death, this book does leave a lasting impression that will have you thinking about it long after you turn the final page.

For those of you who like a bit of romance with their Science-Fiction then definitely pick this book up.

I give this 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment